I just realized that it would probably be a good idea to explain what I'm up to. Many people know already, but for those that I never got around to telling about it, here it goes:
I have always wanted to teach overseas. I am a military brat, having graduated high school at Wiesbaden High School in Wiesbaden, West Germany (H.H. Arnold High School for those of us that don't want to give up the name). I got my teaching certification after graduating with a double degree in psychology/sociology at Virginia Intermont College. Didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, but I figured it would work itself out eventually. My father wanted me to get my license to teach while I was in college, but I had no intention of teaching anybody anything. So what happened? I kept getting jobs where I was teaching somebody something. I did the all American thing, got married and had two kids (boys).
When I got divorced I figured I needed a job where I was on my children's schedule...hence teaching! Still, I loved traveling and the urge was always there. When my youngest turned 21, I started investigating teaching jobs overseas, which brings me to my newest adventure.
Last summer I was working my part time job one Saturday at a Teacher and Parents Store. A customer that I always enjoyed came in and I asked her what was going on with her. She told me that she was going to Abu Dhabi! I asked how she managed that, and she told me the website. I made a mental note of that and kept on about my day. Later on that same day I went to Starbucks to get a coffee. While there I got a call from my sister-in-law Tracy (in Atlanta). She called to tell me that her cousin and a church member just got sent to Abu Dhabi and used that same company! To me, this was God talking to me! So I went home, got on my computer, and I had already bookmarked this website during all of my research. Scary, huh? They were hiring for January, and I wasn't ready for that yet. So, in January I put in my application. The website was really pushing Abu Dhabi (although they also provide teachers to other countries) so they sent me an application to the Abu Dhabi Education Council. A few days later I had a phone interview. Towards the end of February I had a face-to-face interview in Atlanta, and in April I (along with about 649 others) were hired! It is a wonderful opportunity with amazing benefits! Plus, this is a real growing experience for me. I finally have the time to take just for me and to grow as an individual. I am SO looking forward to this!
No comments:
Post a Comment