Interesting how I figured this one out, even though in most places everything is in English and in Arabic.
Did some people watching. Been doing it every day, but I really paid attention today. Had to get a new cell phone. I was just going to get a new SIM card to go with my iphone, but someone posted that when they did this, they would lose minutes whenever they accessed the Internet on their phone. So, went to the mall to buy a cell phone. Underneath the Abu Dhabi Mall (which is connected to my hotel) is the Abu Dhabi Hypermart Co-op. Interesting place. Has a little bit of everything! Bought a Nokia phone for 89 AED ($24.23) and a SIM card for 40 AED ($10.89). Still have to have it activated, but it is just for people to contact me here.
Back to the people watching. People wear what they want to wear here. That in itself is interesting! You may see men wearing long white robes (I think they are called a "thobe") with or without the head scarf (ghutra in white, or red and white) talking to a man in jeans and a t-shirt. Women may wear the black abaya (in different beautiful fabrics) with or without the black head scarf (hijah) and sometimes with the veil in front. Sometimes the abaya is not fastened in front, most times it is. There are a lot of people from India here as well. Most people speak English in some form. So far I haven't had much of a problem being understood. Oh yes, in case you wanted to know. The men's white attire does have pockets. Most people look like you or I walking down the street. I had been told that there is no public displays of affection, but in the mall I have noticed a lot of hand holding. Maybe that is as far as it goes.
My apartment building. Notice the construction. The construction is in the front of the building. Has nothing to do with the building itself. Talked to a young lady this morning who wants to go home. She is to live in the apartments that I am going to, and she doesn't like it. If they aren't going to move her to other apartments, if they aren't going to be flexible, she is going home.
The teachers here are trying to get things moving on their time, not waiting for things to happen. Not willing to sit and wait. We are getting to the end of Ramadan, and things are moving slowly because of that. They want their money NOW, and want to clean and move into their apartments NOW. The American mentality. They have stormed the bank to get their debit cards. For what reason? There is no money associated with them. We got a notice not to have furniture sent to our apartments yet. Again, why would you do that? Some of these apartments need to be cleaned and painted first. There are messages flying around about mattress toppers and other things. People want to start renting cars. Can't do that without our residency visa which we don't have yet. I may be behind the eight ball at the end, but I'm doing as I am told, not making any plans to go above and beyond what they tell me to do. Trying to go with the flow. Besides, they are going to have to drag me kicking and screaming out of this hotel!
Unfortunately I'm becoming addicted to the frozen yogurt at Pinkberry. Have to stay out of that mall. I'm getting tired of spending money anyway. But we only have breakfast paid for here and have to go out for dinner. Tonight I got smart (or smarter). Went to Subway and got a foot long. Ate half, put the other half in the mini fridge for tomorrow. Ahhhhhhhh......(can stay away from Pinkberry's mango frozen yogurt with mangoes, dried cranberries, and pistachios!)
Did some people watching. Been doing it every day, but I really paid attention today. Had to get a new cell phone. I was just going to get a new SIM card to go with my iphone, but someone posted that when they did this, they would lose minutes whenever they accessed the Internet on their phone. So, went to the mall to buy a cell phone. Underneath the Abu Dhabi Mall (which is connected to my hotel) is the Abu Dhabi Hypermart Co-op. Interesting place. Has a little bit of everything! Bought a Nokia phone for 89 AED ($24.23) and a SIM card for 40 AED ($10.89). Still have to have it activated, but it is just for people to contact me here.
Back to the people watching. People wear what they want to wear here. That in itself is interesting! You may see men wearing long white robes (I think they are called a "thobe") with or without the head scarf (ghutra in white, or red and white) talking to a man in jeans and a t-shirt. Women may wear the black abaya (in different beautiful fabrics) with or without the black head scarf (hijah) and sometimes with the veil in front. Sometimes the abaya is not fastened in front, most times it is. There are a lot of people from India here as well. Most people speak English in some form. So far I haven't had much of a problem being understood. Oh yes, in case you wanted to know. The men's white attire does have pockets. Most people look like you or I walking down the street. I had been told that there is no public displays of affection, but in the mall I have noticed a lot of hand holding. Maybe that is as far as it goes.
My apartment building. Notice the construction. The construction is in the front of the building. Has nothing to do with the building itself. Talked to a young lady this morning who wants to go home. She is to live in the apartments that I am going to, and she doesn't like it. If they aren't going to move her to other apartments, if they aren't going to be flexible, she is going home.
The teachers here are trying to get things moving on their time, not waiting for things to happen. Not willing to sit and wait. We are getting to the end of Ramadan, and things are moving slowly because of that. They want their money NOW, and want to clean and move into their apartments NOW. The American mentality. They have stormed the bank to get their debit cards. For what reason? There is no money associated with them. We got a notice not to have furniture sent to our apartments yet. Again, why would you do that? Some of these apartments need to be cleaned and painted first. There are messages flying around about mattress toppers and other things. People want to start renting cars. Can't do that without our residency visa which we don't have yet. I may be behind the eight ball at the end, but I'm doing as I am told, not making any plans to go above and beyond what they tell me to do. Trying to go with the flow. Besides, they are going to have to drag me kicking and screaming out of this hotel!
Unfortunately I'm becoming addicted to the frozen yogurt at Pinkberry. Have to stay out of that mall. I'm getting tired of spending money anyway. But we only have breakfast paid for here and have to go out for dinner. Tonight I got smart (or smarter). Went to Subway and got a foot long. Ate half, put the other half in the mini fridge for tomorrow. Ahhhhhhhh......(can stay away from Pinkberry's mango frozen yogurt with mangoes, dried cranberries, and pistachios!)
I rarely, almost never, go to Baskin Robbins at home, I think I've gone three times here.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have Pinkberry where I'm from, or maybe I haven't seen it,which is a great thing. I'm addicted to the frozen yogurt place that we do have, and I explain not going by saying it is to far away to just hop over there. Pinkberry is GOOD! I'm only going there to reward myself from now on.
ReplyDelete