Been a little busy trying to get myself together. First the job. Easing into it. It's difficult in that the school system does not recognize the importance of child development. Actually that's wrong. It's more like they are expecting 3 and 4 year olds to be little learning machines, instead of realizing that they learn a lot through play. It's almost like I have to take everything I've ever learned about child development and teaching and throw it out of the window and start all over again. Their attention span is maybe five minutes, but they are expected to sit through thirty-five minutes of instruction back-to-back through English, Math, Islamic instruction and Arabic. There is Art, Library, Music, and P.E. but except for P.E. that is all sit down stuff. I feel for them, so I try to plan for them to do hands on work when they have me for math and English. I was so surprised today! One of my "challenging" little girls just started to sing the ABC song out of the blue during P.E.! I sing this to them 3 or 4 times during the day, and some of the kids have got it already. One little girl knew it when I started. They were counting to ten without my help today also. Three weeks of this English stuff and they are getting it! My up hill climb is not as steep!
I have my apartment basically furnished. It is sparse, but it's home. I would like to get a few more pieces of furniture (bookcase, computer desk), and some odds and ends (curtains, lamps, dish towels) and I'll be fine. I love the solitude and not having to worry about anyone other than myself when it comes to eating. I eat what I want to eat. I was having a serious veggie craving because most places don't have vegetables with the food when you order it. So now my freezer is LOADED with frozen vegetables. And you would never guess that one of my favorite fast food places would be the ADNOC gas station cafe! ADNOC is the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and they own all of the gas stations. They are very clean, but their little food place makes some great food, and they deliver! Having a little problem with the hot water in my master bedroom suite....there is none. I have complained about it a few times, they got it working somewhat, but I'm still having to take my shower in the main bathroom which just has a shower stall in it.
My issue right now is leasing a car. I have been riding with two friends, but I try to just get in the car with them when they go places so that they don't have to go out of their way to much to accommodate me in the back seat. I wanted to get my own car this weekend, but am running into a bit of a problem with a drivers license. Had to wait until someone could take me down to get the license today. The problem? They are sending me to the hospital to get an eye test, but they (the drivers license place) close at 1:30 (my hours were changed so that I get off work every day at 2:00 except for Thursdays which is still 12:30). They told me to come back on Sunday. Well that's not gonna do me any good with the fact that I'm still not going to get there in time, and I wanted to get the car this weekend (my weekend is Friday and Saturday). Am a little bummed out about it right now. This is still a work in progress. Something positive may still happen.
I have my apartment basically furnished. It is sparse, but it's home. I would like to get a few more pieces of furniture (bookcase, computer desk), and some odds and ends (curtains, lamps, dish towels) and I'll be fine. I love the solitude and not having to worry about anyone other than myself when it comes to eating. I eat what I want to eat. I was having a serious veggie craving because most places don't have vegetables with the food when you order it. So now my freezer is LOADED with frozen vegetables. And you would never guess that one of my favorite fast food places would be the ADNOC gas station cafe! ADNOC is the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and they own all of the gas stations. They are very clean, but their little food place makes some great food, and they deliver! Having a little problem with the hot water in my master bedroom suite....there is none. I have complained about it a few times, they got it working somewhat, but I'm still having to take my shower in the main bathroom which just has a shower stall in it.
My issue right now is leasing a car. I have been riding with two friends, but I try to just get in the car with them when they go places so that they don't have to go out of their way to much to accommodate me in the back seat. I wanted to get my own car this weekend, but am running into a bit of a problem with a drivers license. Had to wait until someone could take me down to get the license today. The problem? They are sending me to the hospital to get an eye test, but they (the drivers license place) close at 1:30 (my hours were changed so that I get off work every day at 2:00 except for Thursdays which is still 12:30). They told me to come back on Sunday. Well that's not gonna do me any good with the fact that I'm still not going to get there in time, and I wanted to get the car this weekend (my weekend is Friday and Saturday). Am a little bummed out about it right now. This is still a work in progress. Something positive may still happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment