Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Whew!

Things were really popping around here for a while!

 After I posted the last blog, I jumped in the car with my friends and we went into Abu Dhabi.  They dropped me off at the drivers license place (that didn't close until 8 PM!) and I came out with my drivers license!  Then they took me to the hotel.  This was a Thursday night and I couldn't get the car until Saturday morning (since Friday is the Holy Day and the car place wasn't opened).  Remember, our weekend is Friday and Saturday.   I stayed at the Mercure Hotel, which is part of the Accor Hotel group.  It is now my new favorite hotel!  It is in downtown Abu Dhabi and is very friendly and homey.  Two things won me over:  They had a jazz trio on Friday night and they have oatmeal as a part of their continental breakfast!!!  In all the hotels that I have been in since I've been here, none have oatmeal, and I love oatmeal.  The jazz trio (baby grand, bass guitar, and drums) was wonderful and very de-stressing.  I hope to stay there whenever I go into the city.  Good price, and easy to walk to places downtown.  This tent was set up in the lobby.
I did a lot of shopping on Friday.  The hotel has a shuttle going to Marina Mall and Abu Dhabi Mall.  Abu Dhabi Mall is next to the Beach Rotana Hotel that I stayed in when I first got here, so I already knew what was in that mall.  I bought so much at the Marina Mall that I just took a taxi back to the hotel.  Not a lot of extra stuff, just household stuff (dish drainer, printer, laminater, towels and wash cloths, etc.).  After I got back to the hotel, I walked next door to the Home Centre.  I was looking for a laundry basket that I had seen at another Home Centre, but this one didn't have it.  What I DID buy was this elephant.  Wanted to get the big silver one, but it wouldn't fit in the car:

Just one extravagance.  Didn't need it, but it sure is nice!  It is unfinished wood, so the grain is interesting!

I then took the shuttle to the Abu Dhabi Mall and did things for me.  Got a wonderful pedicure and sat down to some Italian coffee. Went to the Hypermart Co-op to get a few things that I knew I could get there and some things for school.  Caught the shuttle back to the hotel, and that is when I experienced that wonderful Jazz Trio!

Saturday morning found me trying to get my car!  It took me about three hours, but shortly after noon I was the proud recipient of a 2012 Kia Rio!


I am just leasing it.  My son Chris has a 2009 Kia Rio, so I'm used to driving it and already know how it hugs the road.  I just hate the color.  Most of the cars here are silver or white.  Neither one are great in fog, and it gets really foggy here in the morning.  As soon as I got the car, I loaded it up with my "stuff" and drove the two hours back to Ghayathi!  Was an eventful weekend.  I hope to go into the city about once a month if I have things I need to get.  Can't always find things out here.  I found a sling for my shoulder at a pharmacy down the street from the hotel.  Can't find a heating pad here.  May have to wait for that one until I get back to the city in a couple of weeks.

Have heard that I am definitely moving to the Boys School whenever I get a replacement at the Kindergarten.  So I'm just waiting........

No comments:

Post a Comment