Friday, October 19, 2012

Got Through the First Week

Things got better with every day.  Not wonderful, just somewhat better.  I found out that I am supposed to have support with every class.  That is not the case by a long shot.  Wednesday was my best day as I had another body in the classroom with me during all classes.  Thursday during my last class was one of the worse.  No one in but me, and the kids kept running out of the classroom trying to fight kids in other classes.  I told the HoF that I was not going to break up any more fights (3 in one period with the same kid) and I was not running after them when they run out of the classroom. I will not yell and scream at them.  I only raised my voice when it was evident they were going to hurt someone (like when they were throwing sharpened pencils at each other instead of doing the work that I had out for them).  I will teach the ones that want to be taught and reward them accordingly. That has helped somewhat.  It is amazing how well the "special needs" class has picked up on what I have been trying to teach them.  I have limited hands on manipulatives, but have been using other ways to show them how to "draw" out math problems and how the moon and Earth rotate and revolve around the sun.  My ego has been stroked by the Arabic Head of Faculty.  She is the Arab teacher that comes in sometimes to help.  She likes the way I teach and asks me questions on how and why I do what I do.  This is what keeps me going everyday.  That, and the kids that actually want to learn.  They are "through" with the others and are "drinking up" what I'm teaching. 

So, for this next week I am getting my lesson plans done.  Have a good idea where to start with them.  The classroom is bare, not really kid friendly, and missing a lot of things (scissors, glue, paper) that I could be using.  Nothing on the walls, and if there is it is just plain bare essentials. Need to remedy that.  I printed out and laminated the Sun, Moon, and Earth and they are already using them to identify with what I'm teaching them.

I have been told that the students are doing better than they were before.  Since I didn't see them before I have no way of knowing.  All I know is that this is unacceptable, but I can only do what I can do to the best of my ability.  I am making very small baby steps, so maybe by the December Holidays I can get them learning.  Then afterwards, will have to start back all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment