Okay, gonna try to do this an an impartial reporter. Will try my best!
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend who is from South Africa. She told me that during our last election South Africans were glued to their television sets like they were when Nelson Mandela was elected. Our Presidential election was a big thing to them.
Today during my second period my "support" teacher came in. He is from Egypt and is encouraging me to go visit at some point. He asked me who I wanted to win our election. I really didn't want to start talking American politics. Not today. Just wasn't feeling it. This was Day 4 of no-air-conditioning-and-I'm-on-the-second-floor-with-two-broken-blinds-so-the-sun-is-shining-straight-in. One girl has already been hospitalized for dehydration. So I tell him that I just want the election to be over with. Just tired of all the election stuff. He says "The Middle East likes Obama." I asked him why. He said that he is just a really good president. I found that interesting that he was paying any attention at all to our election.
At the end of the day I'm clocking out and another teacher comes up to me. He asked me my nationality and I said American. He says "Congratulations." I asked for what? He said "For President Obama being re-elected. He is a really good president." He went on to say that President Obama was doing the best he could with the mess that that other president "what his name? Bush?" left. Maybe now he will have more time to fix everything and America can become a great country again. He said that he realized that the President isn't the only person making the decisions, but now after the election, maybe "the other party will help to fix things again."
Honestly I just listened to these three people. I didn't interject, I didn't really comment. Just interested in hearing what other people from other countries are saying. The eyes of the world are watching us!
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend who is from South Africa. She told me that during our last election South Africans were glued to their television sets like they were when Nelson Mandela was elected. Our Presidential election was a big thing to them.
Today during my second period my "support" teacher came in. He is from Egypt and is encouraging me to go visit at some point. He asked me who I wanted to win our election. I really didn't want to start talking American politics. Not today. Just wasn't feeling it. This was Day 4 of no-air-conditioning-and-I'm-on-the-second-floor-with-two-broken-blinds-so-the-sun-is-shining-straight-in. One girl has already been hospitalized for dehydration. So I tell him that I just want the election to be over with. Just tired of all the election stuff. He says "The Middle East likes Obama." I asked him why. He said that he is just a really good president. I found that interesting that he was paying any attention at all to our election.
At the end of the day I'm clocking out and another teacher comes up to me. He asked me my nationality and I said American. He says "Congratulations." I asked for what? He said "For President Obama being re-elected. He is a really good president." He went on to say that President Obama was doing the best he could with the mess that that other president "what his name? Bush?" left. Maybe now he will have more time to fix everything and America can become a great country again. He said that he realized that the President isn't the only person making the decisions, but now after the election, maybe "the other party will help to fix things again."
Honestly I just listened to these three people. I didn't interject, I didn't really comment. Just interested in hearing what other people from other countries are saying. The eyes of the world are watching us!
No comments:
Post a Comment