Finally figured out how to view everything in English. Notice the orientation of the last post. The Arabs write and read from right to left, which is why the edges are lined up on the right instead of the left.
Okay...the news! I am going to the Western Region which is the largest region of the country of Abu Dhabi (and the most untamed). I am teaching Kindergarten with another teacher from Louisiana. Of course there are other teachers there, we are just the newest ones. Although this is literally out in the middle of no where (they call it the Wild Wild West), I've been told that those of us going out there have been handpicked. There are 50 (out of 650) going out there and 9 going out to where I will be...a little place called Ghayathi, which is in Al Garbia, Abu Dhabi, UAE. From what I understand this is where the oil workers live, and the people with some of this money. My school only has kindergarten. There are about 196 students and about 25 teachers. If your math is as good as mine ( probably better) that is about 8 students per teacher. I think I can handle that! Another good thing: the lady that interviewed me back in February came up to me and said "I remember you!". So we turned in our stuff to get our residency visa, and got the keys to our humble abodes.
Got on the van/bus at 8:00AM to make the three and a half hour trek to our apartments today. Nothing but sand, barbed wire to keep you out of the sand, the occasional camel, and a few oil trucks. There is some greenery in the desert but not a lot. We finally get there! There is a lot of construction going on including in Ghayathi. Other teachers reported getting brand new apartments with marble counter tops if they are living in Abu Dhabi or Al Ain. Not me. There is a film of sand EVERYWHERE and mold between the tiles in the kitchen. There is a crack in the living room and in my room. The good parts are I have a 2bedroom one and a half bathrooms. The living room is big! I can work with it. Have to buy appliances and furniture but I refuse to complain. To busy making silver linings!
Okay...the news! I am going to the Western Region which is the largest region of the country of Abu Dhabi (and the most untamed). I am teaching Kindergarten with another teacher from Louisiana. Of course there are other teachers there, we are just the newest ones. Although this is literally out in the middle of no where (they call it the Wild Wild West), I've been told that those of us going out there have been handpicked. There are 50 (out of 650) going out there and 9 going out to where I will be...a little place called Ghayathi, which is in Al Garbia, Abu Dhabi, UAE. From what I understand this is where the oil workers live, and the people with some of this money. My school only has kindergarten. There are about 196 students and about 25 teachers. If your math is as good as mine ( probably better) that is about 8 students per teacher. I think I can handle that! Another good thing: the lady that interviewed me back in February came up to me and said "I remember you!". So we turned in our stuff to get our residency visa, and got the keys to our humble abodes.
Got on the van/bus at 8:00AM to make the three and a half hour trek to our apartments today. Nothing but sand, barbed wire to keep you out of the sand, the occasional camel, and a few oil trucks. There is some greenery in the desert but not a lot. We finally get there! There is a lot of construction going on including in Ghayathi. Other teachers reported getting brand new apartments with marble counter tops if they are living in Abu Dhabi or Al Ain. Not me. There is a film of sand EVERYWHERE and mold between the tiles in the kitchen. There is a crack in the living room and in my room. The good parts are I have a 2bedroom one and a half bathrooms. The living room is big! I can work with it. Have to buy appliances and furniture but I refuse to complain. To busy making silver linings!
I love your blog! Are you able to post pics here? Your attitude is the best. I'm getting ready.........
ReplyDeleteWorking on it!
DeleteLove the silver linings! Kindergarten sounds like a fun change of pace (as if changing countries wasn't enough ;) Your class size will be even smaller than mine. With NNPS going to a reverse inclusion model for preschool sp.ed. this year, my caseload is going from 8 last year to 10 this year. You will be wonderful in K!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dawn. We'll see. You know you always fear the unknown. I've done pre-school and first grade, so I should be able to do kindergarten. You would think, right? So much new stuff!
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your blog. sorry we were no able to meet in VA. Look forward to seeing you when I get there. There has been some delay in my travel, problem with the visa. Instead of arriving on 24 august, I may not be there for another week or two, very frustrating. However, your blog just reminded me of the importance of a positive attitude and lots of patience, thanks and God Bless.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am sad to hear of your delay. Any relocation needs to have a positive attitude connected to it, especially when a lot of it is out of your hands. If I were responsible to my own housing, etc. that would be different. I just feel that there are to many people that are moving the responsibility around and may be messing things up in the process. They are not dealing with 650+ people, and I know that a lot of mistakes will be made. Lots of patience is the key!
DeleteNice blog Marva. (I see you at breakfast everyday). To correct the blog issue, turn your VPN on before logging into your blog and all will be just as you know it.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Have to remember that....
Delete