Monday, August 13, 2012

Ponderings....

It is interesting to me to see people react.  I know that I am a people watcher, and I know that my background in psychology kicks in from time to time.  I watched people react to their placements and their living arrangements.  I listened during breakfast to some people how they discussed with others their views on life out here in the UAE.  Most (mostly the "younguns") are happy if they have been placed in the bigger cities and have the brand new apartments.  Those that were placed in the Western region and didn't want to be there in the first place aren't happy about anything. I hear how people are going to complain and ask to be placed other places. People are complaining that they have been placed in this school and they wanted to be in that school.   Maybe I'm just older or maybe it's just the way that I am, but... we were hired for a job.  If we were in the states, we go to the school that we are assigned.  Here it's the same.  We go to the school where we were assigned.  Maybe there wasn't a place in the school that you wanted to go to (there are boy's schools and girl's school, unless they are in kindergarten.  The boy's schools are a little challenging).  If you are in the bigger cities (Abu Dhabi City for instance), the experience is more like what you are used to.  I, on the other hand, have been placed on the other side of the world, and I asked for it.  I am in the middle of the desert by Saudi Arabia.  If I go to a new country, I want to experience the new country.  The apartment does not look like anything that I would have in the states unless it is in a run down section of a big city.  But that is okay.  It is what they have, and I will make the most of it.  The living room is large, the kitchen is small, but I'm not paying for it so I will be grateful!  I have talked to people that live out there and they have given me ideas and information.  It will be okay.  I can't and won't complain.

1 comment:

  1. Great piece! I am soooooo glad I ran into you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete